The climate in New Jersey ranges from humid and hot in the summer, to freezing cold in the winter, making heating and air conditioning indispensable for a comfortable household. Because heating or cooling is needed during most of the year, your home’s furnace and A/C consume a lot of energy. In a typical household, HVAC costs can actually make up as much as 50% of your total energy bill. Because of this, improving the energy efficiency of your heating and air conditioning can go a long way toward cutting your utility expenses. One of the best ways to cut your home energy expenses is by upgrading to newer, more energy efficient appliances. Over the last decade, advances in technology have led to newer energy efficient heaters that are much better than older models. However, this isn’t always something you can do right away.
Fortunately, there are a number of simple changes you can make for more energy efficient heating and cooling:
- Set your thermostat as low in the winter, and as high in the summer, as you can. Most homeowners can find a temperature that’s relatively comfortable, but still conserves energy.
- Turn the heat or A/C down when you’re asleep or out of the house. When you’re sleeping or you’re not home, there’s no sense in wasting energy by running your air conditioning and heating on full blast. One of the best ways to regulate your home’s temperature, and improve your household’s energy efficiency, is to install a programmable thermostat. Programmable thermostats let you automate your temperature settings at certain times of day, allowing you to easily raise or lower the temperature if you’re at work or asleep.
- Replace your filters on a monthly basis. It’s easy to forget to replace your filters, but it’s actually surprisingly important to do so. A clogged filter will obstruct the air flow in your home, which can often lead you to turn up the heater or A/C more than usual. You should usually replace your filters once a month.
- Keep your furnace and air conditioner in peak condition with annual tune-ups. Heater maintenance and heating repairs in NJ are important for keeping your furnace or boiler running as efficiently as possible. This is also true for your air conditioner. It’s a good idea to make a habit of scheduling annual heating and air conditioning tune-ups, ideally at the beginning of summer and the beginning of winter. For a routine tune-up, an HVAC technician will come to your home to inspect your heater or A/C unit for any potential problems, making any necessary repairs. Proper maintenance can both increase your energy efficiency, and extend the lifespan of your HVAC system. Proper air conditioner repairs and heating repairs are also important for making sure everything’s operating at maximum efficiency. Many seemingly minor problems won’t cause your heater or A/C to stop working completely, but they will make them less efficient than they should be.
- Invest in Energy Star rated appliances. If your furnace or air conditioner is more than about fifteen years old, it might be time to consider an upgrade. The energy efficiency of these appliances goes down over time, due to wear and tear on the machines as they age. There are a wide range of energy efficient, Energy Star rated heaters and air conditioners on the market today, and installing a newer model could actually bring down your utility bills significantly. With a newer appliance, you’ll also need heating and A/C repairs in NJ less often, also saving money.
- Use the right window coverings to better insulate your home. Covering your windows can actually help decrease your reliance on heating and air conditioning, saving energy and money. Window coverings help to insulate your home from outdoor temperatures, keeping it comfortably warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
These are just a few of the things that you can do to help cut your heating and cooling bills. To find out more about heating and A/C tune-ups, installation, and more, call us today for any HVAC repair. As NJ’ leader in heating and air conditioning services, we work with local homeowners to choose the best HVAC cooling and heating system for their budgets and their energy efficiency needs. Our friendly staff of trained technicians can talk to you about more ways to improve the heating and cooling in your home. Not only can you enjoy energy savings, but you’ll also keep your home temperatures more comfortable than ever.
Find out more about our heating and cooling services:
When your air conditioning system is not cooling enough its a problem but when your air conditioning system is
Almost everyone in Tenafly NJ has central air conditioning in their home It s basically the only reliable way
Everyone s air conditioner breaks down from time to time Even with proper routine maintenance internal parts can occasionally
You can never quite know when your air conditioner will break down unexpectedly In some cases homeowners are
In your household HVAC system cool air from your A C or warm air from your furnace are distributed