In some cases, homeowners are clued in by a gradual decline in performance that occurs over a period of time.
However, it’s not inconceivable that your air conditioner might just stop working one day.
In most cases, it happens at the worst possible time.
New Jersey has a surprisingly hot and humid summer climate, and air conditioning is an absolute necessity for local homeowners.
When your AC stops working on a hot day, it can be a completely miserable experience.
Even with ceiling fans, desk fans, and other backup cooling options, it doesn’t take long for your home to start feeling like a sauna.
At Quest Plumbing, we don’t think that anyone should have to wait more than an hour to see a professional about air conditioning repair service.
That’s why we offer 24-hour emergency repair service, no matter what day or time it is. Air conditioners don’t abide by civilized office hours.
When your AC fails on a sweltering Saturday afternoon, we can have an experienced HVAC contractor at your door in no time.
Once we arrive, we’ll inspect your AC to diagnose the exact cause of the problem.
From there, we can advise you on your options for air conditioning repairs– or in some cases, air conditioner replacement.
We’ll let you know exactly how much you can expect to pay, how long it will take, and what your options will be for financing.
With friendly service and up-front pricing, our focus on quality workmanship has made us a leader for air conditioning repair and other HVAC services throughout New Jersey.
Air conditioner not working? Beat the heat with Quest Plumbing. Call any time for fast, reliable same-day air conditioning repair service: 201-399-2160.
Common NJ Air Conditioning Repair Problems
Air conditioners are surprisingly complicated pieces of machinery.
The fact that they’re so widespread, and often taken for granted, is a testament to the power of modern technology.
Our HVAC service contractors have seen all kinds of problems with residential air conditioning, but there are some that we run into quite commonly.
Most modern air conditioners are quite durable and resilient, and don’t need repairs very often.
This is especially true when homeowners are diligent about routine annual AC maintenance, which is important for making sure everything’s in working order to prevent any potential problems in the future.
However, even the best air conditioning system can still develop occasional problems.
Although a few issues are simple for homeowners to fix, most AC problems are best handled by a professional air conditioning repair service.
Experienced contractors can easily pinpoint the cause of the problem, and perform the right repairs to get things working again.
In most cases, repairs will only take a few hours, and we’ll quickly have things running again.
These are some of the most common problems that homeowners mention when they call us for air conditioning repairs:
- The air conditioner won’t turn on at all. This can sometimes be an issue with electrical wiring or connectivity. We recommend that before calling us, homeowners should check their circuit breakers or fuses. Occasionally, the problem is as simple as a blown fuse, but in most cases, you’ll need some form of professional AC repairs.
- The AC is blowing warm air. Sometimes, although the air conditioning system is creating a sufficient airflow, the air isn’t cold. This can quickly warm up your indoor air, creating uncomfortable temperatures.
- Weak air flow. Air conditioners can blow air, but without the usual speed and force. This inhibits your AC’s ability to cool your home effectively. In some cases, the problem is as simple as a clogged air filters. Filters need to be changed out or cleaned– depending on which type you have– about once a month. However, between work, kids, and other priorities, this simple task is easy to overlook. If the problem isn’t a dirty filter, it could be a problem with your air conditioner’s compressor. In some cases, weak airflow can also be caused by bent, buckled, or clogged air ducts. A professional AC repair contractor can usually identify what’s causing it.
- Inconsistent cooling. This means that, while some areas of your home feel normal, other areas are unusually warm. Although if this happens consistently, it might be your insulation, it can also be a sign that something’s wrong with your air conditioner. It can also reveal a problem within your ductwork, so it’s worth calling a professional for AC service.
- AC water leaks. Your air conditioner produces water condensate as a normal part of its function. Some of this evaporates away, but AC units are also built with a drain pan and drain pipes, which divert the water safely away from your home. The drainage system can develop cracks, or the pipes can come loose, causing water to pool around the base of the unit. The drain pan can also overflow because it’s clogged up with dust, dirt, mold and algae growth, and other debris. This water leakage can damage your AC unit, as well as surrounding walls, flooring, and foundation.
- Frozen evaporator coils. Many homeowners notice ice forming on their air conditioner, often accompanied by poor performance and insufficient cooling. This can happen due to dirt buildup on the coils, but in many cases, it’s actually a sign of a low refrigerant level. This could mean that you need AC freon leak repair, as well as more coolant added to the unit to restore normal performance. Frozen coils can also begin to melt, causing water leakage around the air conditioner.
- Loud, unusual noises. No air conditioner is completely silent, but it’s a bad sign if your AC is making loud, unusual noises. Groans, rattling, squealing, and other sounds usually indicate a problem with one or more internal mechanical parts. If your air conditioner is unusually noisy, call a professional for air conditioning repair.
- Musty smells. This usually means that you have mold growth somewhere in your air conditioner. Moist areas, like the drain pan and drainage line, can unfortunately provide a moist habitat for mold and other organisms to grow. This should be taken care of as soon as possible, to prevent potentially dangerous or irritating mold spores from getting into your indoor air supply.
These are just a few potential problems with residential air conditioners, but they’re some of the problems our HVAC contractors see surprisingly often.
If you’re dealing with any of these issues, your air conditioner probably needs repair service.
If left unattended, the problems can become worse over time, causing more strain on the machine.
The best thing to do is to call an HVAC service company as soon as you notice a problem.
The sooner you get it fixed, the easier– and less expensive– your air conditioning repairs will be.
Professional Air Conditioning Repair Service in NJ
If you’ve decided to call a professional for AC repairs, you’re making the right choice. Before calling us, we recommend that homeowners do a couple of basic things, to make sure our services are needed.
- If your AC isn’t running, check your circuit breakers or fuses. A blown fuse or tripped breaker could cut off power to your air conditioner. This isn’t usually the cause of the problem, but it’s a possibility.
- If you’re experiencing weak airflow, check your filters. This is an incredibly simple fix, and many of us often forget to change our filters on a monthly basis.
If neither of these things is the problem, you probably need professional repair service. Air conditioners are complicated, and very few homeowners have the knowledge or skills to fix the problem on their own. There are exceptions, of course, but most people will benefit from professional AC repair service. A botched DIY attempt could end up being more expensive, and more of a hassle, than just calling an HVAC contractor in the first place.
At Quest Plumbing, we have experienced HVAC technicians on call 24 hours a day. We understand how inconvenient it can be when your air conditioner unexpectedly stops working outside of 9-5, Monday to Friday office hours. We’re always available to take your call, and we provide same-day service for AC repair calls.
When you call us, we’ll usually have an air conditioning repair contractor at your door within an hour, equipped with the tools we’ll need to fix the problem for you. Here’s an outline of what you can expect when you call us at Quest Plumbing for air conditioning repair service:
- Diagnosis. The first step in any AC repair job is to figure out exactly what’s causing the problem. When we arrive, we’ll ask homeowners for any information they have about the problem. Then, we’ll get to work inspecting your AC for signs of potential problems. For an experienced HVAC professional, diagnosis is usually rather straightforward.
- Informing the homeowner. Once we’ve figured out the problem, we’ll explain it to you in detail. We’ll let you know exactly what’s wrong, how much it will cost to fix, and how long the repairs will take. Most AC repair jobs don’t take very long, but in some cases, we’ll need a couple of days to order a replacement part from the manufacturer.
- Air conditioning repair. Now, we’ll get to work performing the actual AC repairs for you, getting things working again as soon as possible so that you can go back to enjoying cool air inside your home.
When Will You Need Air Conditioner Replacement?
Most AC problems can be fixed with routine air conditioning repairs, usually within a few hours. However, there are some cases when AC repair service just isn’t feasible. It could be that your air conditioner has become damaged beyond repair, but in most cases, it’s a matter of age. Air conditioners are designed to last around ten to fifteen years; after that, they simple wear out. This is a long time to last, for something that gets as much routine use as an air conditioner. However, one day, we may not be able to fix it. Even if we can, the costs might outweigh the benefits. In these cases, we usually recommend air conditioner replacement instead. We can recommend dozens of great models across a wide variety of price ranges, from trusted HVAC manufacturers like Rheem, Carrier, Mitsubishi, and many more. From high-end, top of the line air conditioners with phenomenal SEER ratings and whisper-quiet sound levels, to affordably priced economy models, there are plenty of great new air conditioners to meet a wide variety of cooling needs.
Homeowners are sometimes hesitant to replace their air conditioners. New air conditioning installation is definitely a significant investment, but it can have a number of benefits that make it a surprisingly cost-effective solution.
- Save money on cooling costs. Your old air conditioner just isn’t as efficient as it used to be. As an AC gets older, it needs more energy to perform the same amount of work to cool your home. For homeowners, this translates into higher energy bills. After air conditioner replacement, many people find that their monthly electric bill will actually go down.
- Avoid constant, costly repairs. Old units usually need air conditioning repairs more often than newer models, largely because of their age. This means that new air conditioning installation, while requiring a considerable up-front cost, can actually save you money over time.
- New ACs are more environmentally friendly. Newer air conditioners are engineered with “green” design principles in mind. With more efficient operation, environmentally safer refrigerants, and other new developments, they’re often more eco-friendly than previous generations of ACs.
- Enjoy more efficient cooling. In many ways, new air conditioners are simply better than their predecessors, cooling your home more quickly and effectively than your old AC.
Call Us at Quest for Fast, Reliable AC Repair Service in NJ
If your air conditioner just isn’t working right, give us a call any time at Quest Plumbing.
With 24-hour emergency air conditioning repairs, same-day service, and more, we’re a local leader for all things HVAC.
For fast, reliable service and quality workmanship, call us today at Quest Plumbing for AC repairs in New Jersey, at 201-399-2160.
Learn more about our HVAC services:
Welcome to Quest A NJ Air Condition Service Company Serving Bergen County Essex County Hudson County Union County and Passaic County New
HVAC Contractor in NJ Serving Bergen County Hudson County Passaic County and Union County We provide quality affordable HVAC
Days Nights or Weekends We ll Show Up For Your NJ Emergency A C Repair Almost everyone in Tenafly NJ
Everyone s air conditioner breaks down from time to time Even with proper routine maintenance internal parts can occasionally
When your air conditioning system is not cooling enough its a problem but when your air conditioning system is
New Jersey Air Conditioning Repair Services In your household HVAC system cool air from your A C or warm